This is a delicious, creamy soup that is well worth the time to make! We love to make this soup in the early summer when we have an abundance of artichokes growing in our garden.
- 5 Artichoke Hearts
- 5 tsps Olive Oil
- 1/2 cup Shallots Sliced
- 6 Garlic Cloves Sliced or Minced
- 1 cup Potatoes (Yukon Gold or Fingerlings) Diced
- 12 cups Chicken or Vegetable stock
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 2 Sprigs of Thyme
- 4 Sprigs of Parsley
- 1/4 tsp Cracked Black Peppercorns
- Juice of 2 Lemons
- 1/4 cup Plain Yogurt (Optional)
- Salt to taste
- Prepare the artichoke hearts. Peel off the leaves until you get to the heart, remove the center choke in the center. Cut or peel off the tough outside skin of the stem and discard. Trim the stem to a max of 1”. Chop roughly and set aside. To see how to trim an artichoke: http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/how_to_trim_an_artichoke/
- Heat the olive oil in a large soup pot over medium low heat. Add the artichoke hearts, shallots and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally until tender, but not brown, about 15-20 minutes. Add the potatoes, stock and herbs to the pot. Bring the contents to a boil then simmer on low for 1 hour.
- Remove and discard the bay leaf. Add the lemon juice. Puree the soup in batches to a smooth consistency. Before serving, stir in yogurt and salt and pepper to taste.