Immune-boosting soup is great to make and share with your family during the cold and flu season.
General Dietary Principles
- Avoid cold and raw foods when you are feeling unwell.
- If you are congested, it is best to avoid dairy.
- For each meal, have as much soup and hot liquids as you can.
- You want the soup to warm you up internally and make you sweat!
Recipe makes enough for four servings.
- Onion – 1-2 peeled and diced whole onions
- Two long celery stalk, sliced
- One large carrot, sliced
- Garlic – chopped 4-5 cloves
- Fresh ginger – about a square inch of ginger chopped or sliced
- Extra protein: Chopped organic chicken, one egg (optional), OR if vegetarian, one cup of soaked and washed lentils
- Organic chicken broth (vegetarians can use vegetarian broth)
- 10-12 cups of water
- Thyme 1 tsp Rosemary 1 tsp
- Sage 1 tsp
- Black pepper OR Cayenne pepper (enough to make you sweat but not too much to make it uncomfortable)
- Fresh lemon – 2 slices or squeeze juice of a lemon to taste
Additional Optional Ingredients
- Green onions/chives
- Shiitake mushrooms
- One potato, chopped
Do not use: Broccoli, cauliflower, green or red peppers (capsicum), eggplant, pasta, white rice, or regular mushrooms
- Chop and dice your ingredients.
- Add two tablespoons of oil to a large pot or an Instant Pot (on soup setting). Order of preference among cooking oils is avocado oil > grape-seed oil > extra virgin olive oil.
- Add the onions, ginger, garlic, celery and began to sautée until the onions are clear.
- Add chicken or lentils and keep sautéeing.
- Once the chicken starts to appear white and cooked add in the chicken broth and/or water.
- Add other ingredients: potato, shiitake mushrooms, and carrots.
- Cover pot with lid, or close Instant Pot lid.
- Leave cooking another thirty minutes. After this, remove the lid and check that the carrots are soft to eat.
- For extra protein, poke a hole in the egg and slowly let the egg white and yolk drip into the soup. The egg should turn white, indicating it is cooked.
- Leave soup simmering and add remaining seasonings, herbs and spices: thyme, sage, cilantro, black pepper or red pepper, salt to taste.
- Remove from heat and add lemon juice to taste.
- Serve warm and consume liberally.