This protein-rich and nutrient-dense meal is a perfect fit for the new year. Tuna is an excellent source of protein and is a great addition to salad greens.
Dark leafy greens such as kale and spinach are high in important nutrients such as Vitamin C, Vitamin K, folate, calcium, beta-carotene, and many antioxidants that support overall health.
Kohlrabi is a unique and delicious vegetable with a crunchy and slightly sweet bulb topped with dark leafy greens. It resides in the same brassica family as broccoli, kale, and cauliflower, and shares many of the same benefits including high levels of antioxidants and anti-inflammatory compounds that help prevent chronic disease.
Seared Ahi Tuna with Creamy Leafy Slaw Ingredients:
- Kohrabi bulbs and leaves
- Bean Sprouts
- Alfalfa Sprouts
- 3 tbsp Olive oil
- 2 tbsp Sesame oil
- 1 tbsp Liquid Ginger extract
- 1 tbsp Soy sauce
- 3 cloves Fresh garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp Lemon juice
- 1 tbsp Tahini
- 1 tsp Honey
- ¼ tsp dried chilli flakes
- Combine all salad dressing ingredients together in a bowl, mix together, and set aside
- Slice all leafy greens into thin strips.
- Tip: the chiffonade technique involves stacking multiple leaves on top of each other, rolling them into a cylinder, and slicing crosswise to efficiently create thin strips.
- Thinly slice kohlrabi bulbs, radishes, and carrots, and add to greens.
- Tip: a Julien peeler can be used for the carrots to make them extra thin.
- Add bean sprouts to salad mix
- Coat raw ahi tuna in sesame seeds
- Sear in a stainless-steel pain on medium-high heat with sesame oil until all outer sides are cooked and sesame seeds are golden brown
- Slice into thin pieces
Bring it all together:
- Toss salad with dressing
- Top with seared tuna slices
- Garnish with alfalfa sprouts as desired