The veggie medley bowl is a nutrient-dense meal that comes together very quickly if the ingredients are on hand. It’s extremely versatile and not limited to one single vegetable combination. This means that ingredients can easily be substituted based on personal preference, dietary guidelines, or ingredient availability.
In fact, it’s great to experiment with several different versions for maximizing diversity in flavor and nutritional content.
This meal contains protein (quinoa and black beans), fiber (vegetables and beans), and healthy fat (avocado), making it great for stabilizing blood sugar, maintaining fullness and satisfaction, and preventing sugar cravings or carbohydrate-rich snacking afterwards.
For those requiring extra protein, chicken, turkey, beef, or pork can be added as well.
Veggie Medley Bowl Ingredients:
- Black beans
- Avocado Oil
- Dried herbs: cumin, coriander, chili powder, garlic, turmeric
- Cook quinoa according to directions on package label
- Chop veggies and fry in a stainless steel pain with avocado oil on medium-high heat, stirring frequently
- Chop tomato while veggies are cooking
- Add beans to the veggies once they are cooked
- Reduce heat from stove
- Lightly sprinkle desired amount of dried herbs to bean/veggie combination and mix well
- Add quinoa to plate
- Add seasoned bean/veggie mix on top of quinoa
- Add tomato and avocado, either on top, or on the side
- Season entire plate with salt and pepper
The exact portion sizes are best determined on an individual basis. This is a great meal to prepare a bit extra for leftover lunches during the workweek.
While the quinoa, beans, and veggies keep well in the fridge for a few days, the tomato is best chopped fresh on the day it will be eaten.